Friday 10 February 2012

Easy Delicious Mexican Rice

This week limes and avocados are cheap so I have been making lots of guacamole and burritos. The first night of burritos we had charcoal tofu and refried beans on them, but it was a bit too much bean-action for the bf to handle, so the following night I mixed it up with dry-fried veg chicken (the nugget-style ones from your local asian grocery) and mexican rice. I found the rice recipe here and I must say, it turned out wonderfully. It looked and tasted quite similarly to rice I've had in burritos in the US. I used slightly different proportions so have posted my version of the recipe. Makes enough for about 6 burritos:


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of long grain white rice
  • 2 cups of vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 small brown onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • just less than 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • the juice of 1/2 a juicey lime
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
  • 4 shakes of ground cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste


In a small to medium-sized pot, add rice and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil over high heat. Stir and cover the pot. Lower the heat and simmer for another 17-20 minutes until just cooked. Remove from heat and keep the pot covered while you perform the second step.

Cook your onions in a small fry pan with the olive oil for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and stir for another minute or two. Add the tomato paste and cumin and stir again. Now mix in the lime juice, coriander and, finally, the rice.

Stir until the tomato paste mixture is fully combined with the rice. Taste, and add more cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper to your liking. (My stock was salty enough that I didn't need to add more salt.) Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring every minute or so. Serve next to your other sides for an awesome DIY burritoathon!


IMG_2789


Other suggestions for burrito fillings:

grilled corn, cut off the cob with a knife
charcoal bbq tofu chunks
dry-fried "chicken" sprinkled with ground spices of cumin, coriander and chilli
cos lettuce, chopped
tomato, diced
jalapenos, thinly sliced
black beans
refried beans
guacamole
red onion
coriander leaves
vegan sour cream
vegan cheese
HOT SAUCE!!!


IMG_2791


Another burritorrific tip:

Instead of leaving leftover ingredients in the fridge to go bad, chuck them into some lettuce as a salad and make a dressing out of warmed refried beans, olive oil, sour cream and lime juice!


My beautiful burrito:

IMG_2781


4 comments:

  1. Your rice looks and sounds delicious but I am even more taken with your charcoal bbq tofu chunks. I would love to know how you make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I will be posting the recipe in the near future. I tried to replicate the tofu asada from Trippy Taco - not quite the same but still pretty yum.

      Delete
  2. That is indeed a beautiful burrito! And a great looking rice too, I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That looks absolutely heavenly. So truly heavenly. And I love trippy taco.

    ReplyDelete