Tuesday 20 March 2012

Home-Marinated Mushrooms

Marinated mushrooms are probably my favourite deli-bought snack food. When I was younger I would actually eat a whole jar for lunch. I have a little bit more control over my gluttonous urges these days, but I've been craving these things big-time lately. A small jar is usually around $4-5 dollars at the shops, which seems like a big rip-off so I thought I'd make my own. I found a few recipes online and took bits from them to create this recipe, based on ingredients I already had. (I think fresh parsley would have been a great addition, but unfortunately, I was out.) This jar needs to be refrigerated in a few weeks, so I will update then.

Ingredients:

  • 300g button mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
  • a few fronds of fresh dill
  • 1/2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
  • 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 3/4 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced

Pour all ingredients except the mushrooms in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil (the boil?). 

IMG_2922

Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down and add the mushrooms. Stir with a spatula to coat all the mushrooms in the mixture. Cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

IMG_2923

After 10 minutes or so, turn off the heat and transfer everything to a sterilised jar. Let cool and then put the jar in the fridge for a few weeks. Serve cold with crackers and vegan cheese and sundried tomatoes!

Oh, and don't forget to warn anyone you live with that you have mushrooms marinating in the fridge and not a science experiment!

IMG_2925

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That may be the most awesome thing I have ever seen. I love the grow your own mushrooms thing. And nothing like making some fresh mushroom risotto straight from your own mushroom garden, huh? Very nice.

    cubensis spores

    ReplyDelete