- 1 can of Sanitarium nutmeat (or equiv. TVP)
- 1/2 cup brown onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green capsicum, diced
- 1/4 cup liquid vegetable stock
- 1.5 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp. agave nectar (or 1 tbsp dry sweetener)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 400g can of diced tomatoes
- 5-10 drops of liquid smoke (can probably sub smoked paprika)
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- few pinches of pepper
- cooking oil, as needed
Heat some oil in a large frypan. Food process (or hand-smush) the nutmeat until mince-like. Fry the nutmeat in the pan with the oil for a good 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the nutmeat has reached your desired level of brown.
Push the nutmeat to the outer edges of the pan, heat a bit more oil, then cook the garlic, onion and capsicum in the oil for about 5 minutes, until soft. Combine everything in the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and combine. Simmer for about 10 minutes, adding water if needed to reach the consistency of a very thick pasta sauce. Taste, then add extra bits of ingredients as necessary (I found I wanted more vinegar and liquid smoke) and cook for another 10 minutes.
Serve on toasted or soft burger buns spread with vegan mayo, side of fries and coleslaw or pickles.