- 1 can of cannellini beans (400g can)
- 1/2 can of butter beans (half of a 400g can)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid vegetable stock
- 1 heaping cup basil leaves
- 1 giant handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic (depending on how much you like your garlic!)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100g pine nuts
- 1 tsp salt (plus more to taste if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (plus more to taste if necessary)
Put the cannelinni beans, half the stock, garlic, basil and spinach into your food processor and pulse a few times until it is blended together. Pour in your olive oil, pine nuts, butter beans, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. At this point, you can add more vegetable stock to obtain your desired level of creaminess. If you find the stock is too watery, just blend in some more beans and it should even it out.
AND THAT IS IT!
To add something extra to the dish, I threw some quartered button mushrooms into a pan with a bit of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar and let them cook for about 40 minutes in the oven on low heat, stirring every 10-15 minutes. I served these on top of the pasta and sauce, with a side of corn and a piece of garlic bread.