Friday 21 October 2011

Crispy Polenta with Vegetables and Balsamic Reduction

Ah, the word "reduction" makes a dish sound so fancy, doesn't it! I'm pretty sure this is my first attempt at a reduction sauce of any kind, and it turned out pretty yummy. First, I made the polenta according to the instructions on the packet. Fifteen minutes of constant stirring is a very good workout, let me tell you. When it was cooked (I kept it on the heat a minute or two longer than the recipe on the bag instructed) I poured it into a container that I thought would be most suitable to my preferred size and shape of polenta pieces. I let the polenta sit until it stopped steaming, then I covered it and popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

While the polenta was cooling I went on to make the balsamic reduction. Which meant - more constant stirring! This recipe is so easy and pretty fool-proof. Just pour, into a small saucepan, an amount of vinegar which is double the amount of sauce you want to end up with. Put the heat on high and whisk, whisk, whisk. Keep whisking until the sauce is reduced by at least half and has a syrupy consistency (I was a bit unsure about when to pull it off the heat and then - poof! - it was suddenly right). If you would like to make it a bit sweeter, add a bit of sugar while it's cooking. The sugar made it yummy but I think it altered the texture to be a bit taffy-like when cooled.

By now your polenta should have moulded into the shape of your container. I cut some slices out, sprayed a pan with cooking oil and cooked them for about 20 minutes, flipping once the bottom was a golden brown.

IMG_2217

They can cook for a while without burning, so just cook them until you they reach your desired crispiness. Plate with a generous drizzle of balsamic reduction and some cooked veggies.


IMG_2218

No comments:

Post a Comment